Saturday, 27 February 2016

SHOOT 3: DEVELOPING SLEEP PARALYSIS



For the second shoot which was intended to develop the character of the succubus, I have created and developed a second make-up look which will add variety to the series of images. I also intended for the make-up to portray a more sinister side of the character. 


She waits in the darkness.
This was one of the first images I took at the beginning of the shoot - as the shoot continues, more and more make-up is added to portray the development of the character. Working with glossy eyes proved very challenging because it would crease the eye makeup, preventing the fake eyelashes from adhering properly - I often had to readjust the eye make-up throughout the shoot. Despite the problems that gloss caused, the effects played nicely with the camera, by using a filter over the camera lens, the gloss caught the light creating iridescent sparkles which I thought gave the makeup texture and dimension. The muted clarity of the image and play of colour works well for this character - I was happy that although without a photography I was still able to create a filmic feel to the images. The image below reminds me of Woman in Black (2012). 




A closer look

These image gives a closer look at the details of the hair, I was loosely inspired by oriental hair designs and decided to create a pattern at the front by looping the hair around and hid the pins by using flowers to accentuate the design. I felt that by simply pinning the hair upwards made the wig look a lot more natural - it also looks as though a lot more effort was put into the hair although it was quite easy to create. 




Although these images are still predominately beauty focused, I think the use of texture to the skin gives an unusual twist. As the shoot progressed, I found myself using my fingers to paint and adjust the makeup which was much quicker, using a brush gave precise clean lines that I wanted to avoid. 




The following image is one of my favourites out of the series, I used paint and beads on the lips to create an almost grotesque dried- blood texture - it appears like the character has been feeding on something.




During the shoot, I also experimented with sheer fabric - I particularly liked this one red mesh fabric. This photo was captured by throwing the fabric upwards and letting it fall upon the model. It gave an interesting effect, almost appears like aura radiating from her, or 'the souls that she is consuming'.







Overall I think the shoot was successful, knowing that I am capable of capturing such photographs without the need of a photographer or assistant put my mind at ease because I know that I can always depend on myself. 


No comments:

Post a Comment