Monday, 1 February 2016

GROUP MENTOR MEETING



During today's mentor meeting, Sharon asked me,  "what makes your project stand out from others?"

I had a sudden realisation - the concept of fairytale and dream inspired photography has been overdone, the same inspirations have been recycled so many times by different photographers. Although I stated that the fairytales I create will be much more sinister to perhaps compared to the works of Tim Walker, dark fairytales as a concept is also a very widely used concept in fashion photography. I need a more unique selling point - fairytales are everywhere. 

My initial idea was to combine dreams with fairytale; to capture the essence of dream in a fairytale aesthetic. Although I am still very fond of the idea, it was suggested that I take most of my inspiration from dreams, not only dreams but also sleep phenomenons such as night terrors, lucid dreaming and sleep paralysis - all six protagonists should be inspired by this dreamland and not of any existing fairytale character or story.

In the meeting, I was also advised to revise my time plan and make it more realistic. Creating storyboards for six different protagonists is a ambitious task, I need to rethink the duration of each story.  I realise that time management and careful organisation is a huge part of what determines the success of the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment