People who have nightmares are more open to their feelings and the world around them. In fact, nightmare sufferers are more likely to be creative people and artists. Hartmann calls this trait “vulnerability” because these people have a greater ability to be touched by the world, to experience life and all of its pain. So this vulnerability is a double-edged sword, pointing towards both creativity as well as increased suffering. And also madness. It is true that nightmare sufferers tend to be more creative, but they also have a greater chance, statistically speaking, of being prone to mental illness (schizophrenia). This is the opposite of neurosis – which is having too many psychological defenses in play. (Hartmann, 2001)
For this series of images, I wanted to create a character that represents madness, referring to the text above, I want to create very painterly portraits to symbolise the creativity of the character and capture her descent into insanity.
I wanted to create the texture of broken wood on the skin which could make the character appear like a broken doll, heavy paint strokes on the skin would create the effect of cracks when the paint dries, creating texture that could also give the illusion that her skin is deteriorating.
To give the character a more doll like effect, I will be blocking out the eyebrows and lips and then painting on the features messily. The way the eyebrows will be painted on will give the model the expressions of anger and sadness. Relating back to the links in creativity and madness - I want the character to appear as if she is a watercolour or acrylic painting, forever trapped in this 'canvas of dream'.
To keep an oriental theme running throughout my project, I took inspiration from geisha and Chinese theatrical makeup for this look especially with the placement and choice of colour. For styling, I have purchased a black floor length kimono with floral patterns, again to complement the oriental theme.
To give the character a more doll like effect, I will be blocking out the eyebrows and lips and then painting on the features messily. The way the eyebrows will be painted on will give the model the expressions of anger and sadness. Relating back to the links in creativity and madness - I want the character to appear as if she is a watercolour or acrylic painting, forever trapped in this 'canvas of dream'.
To keep an oriental theme running throughout my project, I took inspiration from geisha and Chinese theatrical makeup for this look especially with the placement and choice of colour. For styling, I have purchased a black floor length kimono with floral patterns, again to complement the oriental theme.


No comments:
Post a Comment