Sunday, 10 April 2016

BACK TO SEXSOMNIA


Sexsomnia was the shoot that I was least happy with so far in the creation of Phantasia, I found myself pushing this series away because I felt that it didn't reach my full expectation or potential, however at this stage I do not think that I will have the time to reshoot. I think perhaps, I couldn't capture the essence I was truly looking for because this is the only series of images that are not photographed by me. Although the style of aesthetic is there, I felt less connected. The main issue regarding this series of images was that it appeared too innocent and lacked the darkness that manifests within each of the other characters. Therefore, I have returned to these images to reselect and rework them in post-production to bring back the darkness. I needed this character, like all my characters, to appear tainted - therefore I have not selected any images from the first look I did from this shoot. In post production I flushed the images in a bright crimson red and increased the contrast and darkened shadows to give the images sharper edges creating a more erotic feel - I wanted to replicate the colour used in hammer horror: 


Hammer Horror: The Masque of Red Death (1964)


I wanted this character to 'exist within the red', as though she has been confined within this dream space, I wanted to capture an aspect of insanity and finally a cold awakening. After completing the edits, this series of images very much reminded me of dark and sensual text "The Bloody Chamber" by Angela Carter and I am very pleased with the result. I feel that although, the makeup and styling is the same throughout the images, the angles and subtle change of lighting and pose are able to tell a story. 








No comments:

Post a Comment